Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The West Virginia and Regional History Center is now open on a limited basis for WVU students, staff, and faculty only.
We will continue to work with our external patrons remotely. Please submit your requests using our External Patron Reference and Research Request form. You may also call to connect with our reference staff.
Thank you for your cooperation with all our safety protocols. We are dedicated to ensuring the health and safety of both our patrons and staff while allowing access to the WVRHC. With your assistance, we can safely remain open for appointments.
Make an Appointment
We are requiring appointments to use all parts of our collection. Appointments must be made at least 48 hours (two business days) in advance. To book an appointment, please fill out the form below. For patrons who have not previously visited the WVRHC, this form will also serve as a registration form. Our reference staff will confirm your booking.
If you are interested in booking an appointment to use our Rare Book Collection, please contact our Rare Book Librarian, Stewart Plein at: Stewart.Plein@mail.wvu.edu
During your Appointment
- All materials will be pulled in advance of your appointment. Unfortunately, this means we will be unable to fill requests while you are at the WVRHC. We also ask that our patrons using microfilm and books refrain from pulling any additional material. All materials used during appointments will undergo a three day quarantine prior to reshelving, so to ensure the safety of all users of the WVRHC, we need to keep track of the materials being paged.
- We will not be offering computer access in the main reading room. If you foresee needing to use a computer, please plan to bring a personal device. Outlets are available on the reading room and manuscript room tables.
- If you require supplies during your visit, such as paper and pencils, we are happy to provide them to you. Please do not return any paper or pencils to us.
- If you are planning to work with audio materials, such as oral histories or folk music, plan to bring your own wired headphones if possible.
- During this time, lockers will be unavailable. Patrons using the Manuscript reading room will be asked to leave their belongings just outside the room.
- If you plan to take photographs of archival materials, please download our Camera Use Form, fill it out, and return it to our reference staff in advance of your appointment.
Arriving for your Appointment
- Please arrive as close to your appointment time as possible. We are staggering appointments for different types of materials to ensure that social distancing can be maintained in the hallway just outside the WVRHC.
- If you have not received confirmation for your appointment, please email email@example.com. We are unable to accommodate walk up appointments at this time.
- In accordance with WVU policy, all patrons are required to wear masks throughout appointments.
- Please wash your hands as close to your appointment as possible. We will have hand sanitizer in the Center, but hand washing is the best way to stop the spread of the coronavirus and to protect our collections.
- Please conduct a symptom check prior to your visit. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please contact us and do not come for your appointment. Our reference staff can work with you to either reschedule your appointment or to assist you remotely.
If you plan on photographing any material during your visit, or if you've requested a collection that contains confidential material, please fill out the following forms and send them in advance to our reference staff.