The WVU Librarians consider the following factors when evaluating graphic novels for our collection:
- Popularity. Top-selling titles for mature readers.
- Tie-ins to the WVU curriculum.
- Tie-ins to TV shows, movies, and classic Literature.
- Age level, target audience, and general suitability.
- Genre. Super-hero and fantasy titles are popular but we collect science fiction, humor, realistic fiction, and other styles.
- Writing quality, including originality of plot and characters, overall appeal, character development, dialogue, and pacing.
- Artistic quality, including layout, dramatic impact, storytelling flow, drawing skill, coloring (where relevant), and lettering.
- Reputation of writers and artists, many of whom have strong fan followings.
- Awards and recognition received. Major industry awards include the Eisner, Harvey, and Kirby awards. The Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Awards is a significant annual fan award.